The Marriage License office is located at the Florence County Judicial Center 181 N Irby Street, Suite 1300, Florence, SC 29501.
1. Marriage license fees must be paid at the time of application. Fees are as follows:
• $50.00 for residents of Florence County
• $75.00 for residents out of Florence County but within South Carolina
• $100.00 for residents of another state
2. Marriage license applications are accepted Monday – Friday from 9:00 am until 4:30 pm, excluding holidays.
3. Both parties are required to appear together to file an application to obtain a marriage license. Applications cannot be taken by mail or telephone or by one party only.
3. There is a mandatory 24 hour waiting period after the application is filed before the license can be picked up and the parties can be married.
4. The minimum age for males and females without parental consent is 18. Applicants aged 18 or older must provide either a valid driver’s license, state-issued ID card, military ID or passport. Both applicants are required to provide their full Social Security number.
5. Minor applicants must be at least 16 years of age, must have parental consent and present a certified copy of the minor’s long form birth certificate. The consenting parent must provide a valid ID and their Social Security card.
6. A blood test is not required.
7. The ceremony may only be performed by members of the Gospel and by officers authorized to administer oaths in South Carolina which include accepted Jewish Rabbis and SC Notaries Public.
8. Witnesses are not required.
9. Marriage licenses do not expire in Florence County.
10. Applicants who have been divorced within the past year must provide a clocked copy of the divorce decree.
11. The ceremony must take place in South Carolina, but not necessarily within the county where the license was issued.
12. We do not issue marriage licenses to inmates.
1. A certified copy of a marriage license can be obtained online by visiting https://www.southcarolinaprobate.net/search/. Credit card payment is accepted.
2. Requests are accepted in person at the Florence County Probate Court and require the following information: the names of both parties, date or year of marriage and a fee of $5.00. An additional research fee of $5.00 may apply to licenses issued prior to June 1970.
3. Requests by mail require the names of both parties, date or year of marriage, daytime phone number and $6.50 money order. Mail the request to:
Florence County Probate Court
181 N Irby St, Suite 1300
Florence, SC 29501
Attn: Marriage License Clerk
4. NOTE: We only have licenses that were issued in Florence County. If you received your license in another county you will need to contact them. You may also contact DHEC at https://www.dhec.sc.gov/vital-records/marriage-certificates 2600 Bull St, Columbia, SC 29201, (803) 898-3630
For additional information please contact the marriage license clerk at 843-665-3085 ext. 1.
J. Munford Scott, Jr., Judge of Probate
Sharon C. Davis, Associate Judge of Probate
Rebecca McGill, Marriage License Clerk